Monday, August 6, 2012

VEGETARIAN LASAGNA

I am so pleased that the shop owner had kindly agreed to give me a  new pasta machine to replace the faulty one which I had mentioned before. Finally I am able to get some linguine/fettucini from the machine.  Not only that, but I made some fresh lasagna sheets as well.
So I tried this vegetarian version of lasagna- recipe taken from King Authur Flour.

Coated the fresh pasta with some semolina flour to prevent from drying out.

Meanwhile prepare the vegetables for the filling- 1 eggplant thinly sliced lengthwise; some asparagus (ends removed); 2 tomatoes diced; 1 sliced onion, mushroom.

Heat 1 knob of butter and olive oil in pan and saute sliced onion over low heat.

Caramelised onions ready.
In the same pan, lightly pan fry the asparagus till soft, dish up and set aside 

Also fry the eggplant till golden brown and dish up and set aside.
2 types of mushroom- canned button mushroom and dry porcini mushroom (do not throw away the water).

Heat olive oil in pan and saute the diced tomatoes till soft.

Add the mushrooms together with the water and as I had half a bottle of the passata sauce, I added it in too to make a thick sauce. Otherwise add some tomato puree and can of crushed tomato.
Taste and adjust  seasoning- salt and black pepper.

I prefer to blanch the pasta sheets before using them.

Now you are ready to start layering the lasagna. Fresh pasta, follow by sauce.
 Next layer the eggplant

Then the asparagus. 
 caramelised onions followed by the grated cheese

Top with pasta sheets and continued till all vegetables are used- layers of vegetable can be done in any order.

Top with more cheese and sprinkle some breadcrumbs over the top.
  
 Bake at 180C for around 20 minutes or more till cheese has melted and brown.

 Tuck in- cannot see clearly the layers though.  Another vegetarian recipe for my sister, May.

No comments:

Post a Comment