Monday, August 19, 2013

HUNGRY GHOST FESTIVAL DINNER

It is the Hungry Ghost Festival today. 

Paraphernalia bought and to be burnt for the after-world.  
We have already attended to the festival on the weekend.  
Our pot-luck dishes for the festival:-

My "1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Spareribs".  This is a dish which I saw on the TV programme.  
It is a very easy dish to prepare but it really taste amazing. You just need to remember this ratio: 1 tablespoon of cooking wine, 2 tablespoon of rice vinegar; 3 tablespoon of sugar; 4 tablespoon of light soya sauce and 5 tablespoon of water. Blanch the spareribs in boiling water. Remove and place in cooking pan.  Add the sauce and let it simmer on medium-low heat till spareribs is tender. 
When ready to serve, bring to high heat and reduce the sauce till thicken and caramelize the spareribs.
No other flavouring/seasoning is necessary.
I made some pickled cucumber, carrot and radish to serve on the side.
This is more or less like the Vinegared Spareribs- a popular Shanghainese dish.
   
My sister Yoke deep fried some of these chicken nuggets.

She also prepare this Kerabu chicken feet- delicious.

My sister-in-law Serena's mother (aunty) cooked this yummy Sambal Prawns with Petai and eggplant- really flavourful. Aunty also cooked a tender spicy Braised Pig Trotters with dried chillies.

My eldest sister-in-law cooked this Prawns with Salted Egg Yolk.  By the way, we are happy to welcome a new addition to the Chan family.  My niece missed the dinner as she was admitted for delivery her baby that night.  However, the little baby girl was delivered yesterday evening.    

My brother Chuan bought the Roasted Pork - the best from Sungai Long.
There were 2 roasted duck which my sister Jennifer and sister-in-law Evon bought too.

I also baked Pandan Chiffon Cake and kopitiam milk buns for tea-time. (will post later).

Everyone was punctual as it is back to school the next day as well as back to the early hours and traffic jam!.
But we had a good time- discussing our family tree.   My sister Vicky in Australia is doing up the  family tree and the list is at the 4th generation now.  Our counsin Lee Choong Sing,  before he passed away in Guangzhou had also forwarded to my eldest brother the Chan Clan Name List, starting from my grandfather's generation only, no traces of the generation before, sad.
So let's hope that the present family tree will be continued by the future generations.
   

     


2 comments: