Monday, November 28, 2011

STEAMED WINTERMELON WITH ROCK SUGAR

As I was browsing at the market stalls on Sunday, the vegetable vendor showed me a winter melon and said that his father had grown it back in his hometown. He assured me that its organically grown and a good buy.




Since the weather has been hot and stuffy in the day and raining in the evening, maybe this could be a good tonic drink for the body. As both my daughters have been so stressed lately, Esther with the new business and Sarah with her exams coming up, maybe this tonic will be good to calm their body down. My mother told us that this is cooling and stress-release drink to "yuen" for the body and good to combat the pimples and good for the complexion.




For this purpose, the whole wintermelon is double boiled with rock sugar and red dates. You could add some American ginseng too if desired.





Cut the top off but retained the cap.




Use a spoon to scoop out the seeds and the fibers.




Place the melon on a deep bowl.





Filled the melon with warm water, rock sugar and red dates.





Replace the top on the melon and place the bowl into the pot filled with water halfway of the bowl (no need to add water to the bowl). I use a string to tie the bowl for easy removal from the pot when cooked.




Bring the pot to boil and lower to a simmer for around 4 hours. Make sure that there is enough water in the pot and refill with hot water, if necessary. After boiling for 4 hours, the melon has shrunk and the bowl is filled with water due to the steaming.




You can serve the melon whole at the table as dessert.




To serve, scoop out flesh and syrup in individual bowls and serve hot.

It is very soothing and not overly sweet.




The next time, he offer me a winter melon, I will try to serve it as a savoury soup. This is another way which I remember my mother used to cook too.


I am submitting this to the Christmas Giveaway in "The Sweet Spot".













No comments:

Post a Comment