Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Sunday Breakfast

Sunday is the day for catching up on our sleep. By the time, we wake up it too late for breakfast and too early for lunch. So for brunch, I decided to make this - don't really know what to call it- bread pie or bread tart?



I had made these ages ago when the kids were small then. Sarah reminded me the other day and asked me to cook them again. Time really flies, but I am glad that she can remember the way it was done and most important, I think it is the taste of the food that reminded her. This is what I call family tradition recipes - in the back of their minds they will remember the way the dish looked and recall the taste! Just as I can remember certain dishes which my mother used to cook.



The filling is simply ingredients which are readily available in most homes. Milk, flour, butter, frozen mixed vegetables, onion and cheese. I added some diced chicken thigh fillets too.



Make a roux with the butter, flour and milk. Add diced chicken, onion an frozen mixed vegetables and lastly grated cheese. Set aside to cool.


You can used any leftover bread. Cut with biscuit cutter and place them into muffin tray. The tart/bread shell done this way is shallow and can take around just 1 tablespoon of the filling which is just perfect.



The other way is to cut away the crust and cut at 4 corners of the slice and then overlap the corners to fit into the muffin tray. The tart/bread shell done this way will be deeper and hold more filling.


Bake them in pre-heated oven at 180C for around 10-15 minutes till golden brown.


Serve them immediately.








1 comment: