Monday, April 2, 2018

SHIO PAN AND OTHERS

10/3/2018
SATURDAY

Shio Pan
Shio is salt and Pan is bread in Japanese. This is a Japanese style sweet bun but it is also savoury.  Not the french croissant but shaped like it.    

I brushed some soft butter over the  proof dough instead of wrapping cold butter inside (which I did once and it all like melted out during the baking). 



After 2nd proofing and ready for the oven.   Brush with some milk and sprinkle with Himalayan pink salt. 

These are not cranberry buns.  It is bak-hwa (dried meat) sweet buns. 
Recipe adapted from Guaishushu.  

My adaption:  I used dried meat jerky instead of bacon as I had  some leftover from the CNY.  And I rolled and cut them into buns instead of cutting into  tiny bites.  
   
inside of the bak-hwa sweet bun. 

CNY  is over and am now trying to cook the foods which I bought before the CNY as a tradition of "keep over the new year".  Even though the supermarkets are open during the CNY, its has been a tradition of most Chinese, myself included to go into a frenzy of buying fish, prawns, chicken and meat (because of their auspicious names in Chinese) to be kept over the CNY, so that we will have "excess abundance" for the coming year. The problems with these are (1) creating lack of fridge space (2) time  to cook them before their expiry date (3) the rush at the market with the crowds to get them and last and not least paying exorbitant prices for them before the CNY.  Yet still traditions must follow..at least for me..LOL.  

These prawns thankfully were still fresh and my family tradition method of cooking "HAHAHA" is Cantonese style with sweet tomatoe sauce.  Served with Stir-fry baby lettuce and  some cold pickled daikon and cucumber. 

prefect for the hot weather...... greek yogurt with the sweetest water-lily mangoes. These beauties are in season now and who can resist them!

my version of a bento box for the girls' lunch.... grilled egg-plants with gochujang sauce, pickled daikon and cucumber and what else for dessert .... of course the mangoes again...

making Chan clan dumplings- using ground pork, prawns and chives.

Anyone ready to order? 


3 comments:

  1. Thanks for telling me what is Shio Pan. Next trip to Japan, I will look out for them with my coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its funny that I did not look out for them during my trip but can buy from certain bakeries around KL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you made it seems like so easy. The color all come out very nice

    ReplyDelete