Monday, September 9, 2013

ROASTED CHICKEN THIGHS WITH 20 GARLIC CLOVES

After the delicious Roasted Chicken with Rice stuffing, I was thoroughly enamoured by the whiffs of the roasting chicken.
However reading another  post by Kitchen Flavours with her recipe - Chicken with 40 garlic cloves (Yes it is 40 cloves of garlic!) - I was like - oh no..but interesting.... wait let me see.....


Firstly I am not a great fan of garlic. Garlic and its twin- the onion family are use very minimal in all my cooking.  I do used minced garlic to kick-start my stir-fries vegetables as taught by my mother.
But to use 40 cloves of garlic, straightaway  my mind was in reject mode- no way.

However, her post say that is a very tasty dish and it was tempting me to give it a go.

So I did go ahead and baked this dish .......hehehe cheat with only 20 cloves of garlic.

I use 5 chicken thighs and drumsticks.  Season them with salt and pepper.
Heat wok with butter/olive oil.
Coat chicken with plain flour and brown them in batches till golden brown.
I did not use the scallions/onions.
I had a half bottle of red wine and use that instead of the white wine.
Toss in the the herbs- rosemary and sage and the 20 cloves of unpeeled garlic
Cover and bake in oven at 150C for around 45 minutes to 1 hour.
As it was baking the aroma were  indeed so appetising and tantalising.
Cannot wait to taste it.

I served the chicken with some couscous.


Very easy to cook or is it to make as no cooking was involved.
I used just a small cup for both of us. Pour boiling water over it and cover with cling wrap for around 15-20 minutes.

When ready to serve, fluff up the couscous and added some of my oven-baked cherry tomatoes, black olives and dried cranberries. Season with salt and pepper. Top with lemon zest and more EV olive oil.
The greens to accompany this meal was some stir-fry baby kailan.


Verdict:  a BIG YES to the dish. Yes, it was delicious.  Yes, the chicken was still moist and juicy and yet able pull away from the bones. Yes, the garlic was soft and mushy and IT WAS NOT PUNGENT AT ALL.
We smushed(?)  the garlic into the couscous too and it was truly scrumptious.

Thank you Ms Joyce- Kitchen Flavours for this delightful recipe.


No comments:

Post a Comment