Sunday, August 11, 2013

STEAMED SPONGE CAKE WITH SALTED EGG YOLK

Good Monday morning everyone,
How was your long weekend holiday? Hope everyone had a happy and enjoyable time with your family and loved ones.
I had an extra 2 days off before the long weekend. I was not feeling well, the on-set of  a sneezing/cough spell. Anyway was much better (without the air-con) plus lots of "sweating workouts" during the long weekend.
So gradually updating some of  my cooking and outing with family for the past week.


4/8/2013 (Sunday)
As I was saying after reading the post by other bloggers on the success of making this and that, I will try to copy the recipes and make them myself.
My sister was telling me that she had not eaten the Steamed Sponge cake for a long time.  She was the one who used to make this, beating the eggs and sugar in an earthen clay pot with the spiral wire whisk till batter is thick. Steaming time would take as long as it takes to burn a joss stick!      

Saw a recipe from Helena's Kitchen blog using salted egg yolks and meat floss as filling for the steamed sponge cake. Checked my fridge, still have some remaining chicken floss and remaining 3 of my homemade salted eggs.
This is my adapted version.
Boiled the salted eggs till cooked and used only the egg yolks. Mashed them and set aside.

For the Sponge: Whisk 3 eggs with  80 gm caster sugar till pale and thick.
Add 90gm of plain flour (I use Superfine Flour) sifted in 3 batches and mix till combined (do not overmix).


I poured half the batter into the a lined pan (8" round cake pan as that the only size my steaming wok can take). Next sprinkle the chicken floss and salted egg yolks around.  Then I slowly placed the remaining half batter on top. (the original version was to steam the first half of the batter for 15 minutes, layer on the filling and the remaining batter and steaming again for 15 minutes). 
Steam for around 15 minutes on high heat.  Remove from pan immediately to cool. 

The Steamed Sponge cake is delicious- you get the salted egg yolks and chicken floss with the soft and fluffy sponge cake. 
The next time I will make a double portion of the sponge mixture so that the I can get thicker layers and a taller sponge cake. 

I also baked some Chocolate Chips cupcake for her grand daughter's birthday. 

Method:
Cream 200 gm butter with 150 gm caster sugar till light and pale.
Add 3 eggs one at a time mixing well after each addition. 
Add 1 tsp vanilla extract.
Sift together 180 gm superfine flour, 1 cup cocoa powder, 1/4 teaspoon baking soda and 1 teaspoon double action baking powder. Stir in 100 gm chocolate chips (I used the mini types) and 50 gm almond flakes. 
Fold in the sifted flour and 1 cup milk in 3 batches (alternating each time)
Bake at 180C for around 20 minutes. 

Moist and delicious with bits melted chocolates chips- no need for further embellishment.




3 comments:

  1. Hi Elaine, hope you are getting better by now. I like this steamed sponge cake especially the salted egg yolk. The chocolate cake look good too, nice recipe. :)

    Have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good afternoon Elaine...

    Oh,salted egg, have not tried cake with salted egg before...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good morning ladies,
    Yes, normally we could think salted egg and cake could match. But this is actually a nice combination! Thank for the recipe from Helena's blog.

    ReplyDelete